Archive for January, 2013
A friend of mine enjoys watching termites, says they are fascinating. I like mold for the same reasons but watching mold isn’t quite as much fun. I was browsing through the Journal of Light Construction magazine that I subscribe to and they went through a 30 year recap of their publication. I found “Mold” listed throughout.
In their very first issue in 1982 they say, “NEB (New England Builder, their first official name) takes on energy issues, like moisture problems from increased insulation and the role of roof ventilation.”
In 1983, “Poorly installed vapor barriers spawning mold and lawsuits”
1987, “More moisture problems, this time in tight houses and crawlspaces”
1989, “Builders report more moisture problems as houses get tighter”
1991, “First ‘sick building syndrome’ suit settled out of court”
1997, “Mixed-climate moisture control is complicated, drying potential to the interior/exterior studied”
1998, “Toxic mold plagues homeowners, delights media and litigators”
2001, “Mold lawsuits bankrupt big builder; ‘stachybotrys’ becomes a household word”
2011, “JLC author uses infrared camera to find moisture problems as well as energy leaks”
As you can see, mold is a big issue and one of the foremost magazines is keeping up to date with the developments. It’s a problem that isn’t going to go away, at least anytime soon. You can’t just look away. *start scary movie music* Potential health effects and symptoms associated with mold exposures include allergic reactions, asthma, and other respiratory complaints. Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions.
If you have any of these symptoms, see or smell mold, it may be a good time to have your Indoor Air Quality tested. It just so happens I can take care of this for you, I am now a Certified Mold Inspector. Don’t suffer needlessly.